Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Ostara



The weather is starting to warm up and both Z and I have realized, as it gets warmer, that we may have been suffering from seasonal affective disorder, AKA "The Winter Blues." It's so interesting how you might not even realize that you feel a little bit sadder during the winter until it starts to get warm again. For me, I start to feel a deep sense of hope and happiness. I'm not sure if hope's the right word for what I feel, but it's as close as I can get.

Yesterday we celebrated Ostara or Spring Equinox. Basically, witches celebrate 8 major holidays or "sabbats." Witches view the year as a turning wheel and as the wheel turns the Goddess progresses through the stages of maiden, mother, and finally crone. Ostara is a celebration of the union of the God and maiden Goddess and with that union brings spring and fertility throughout the land. Now most witches have a literal God and Goddess who they worship, but for me, the Goddess is the earth and the God is the sun.

To begin our celebration we went out to our spring garden, where we recently planted our seeds, and blessed it. Here is the spell we used.

Little rows of tiny seeds!
Since Ostara is focused on rebirth and beginning anew we both wrote down something that we would like to come into our lives- whether a personality trait or a new skill. Then we burned the paper and dropped the ashes into a small flower pot where we had planted a seed. As our seeds grow and flourish, so too will our written desire grow and flourish. To end our celebration we munched on some hot cross buns, which I have never had before, but they were delicious!

In candle news, I have pretty much revamped my entire approach to candle making. Before, I was making candles infused with certain spells, but now I am making candles that correspond to each of the planets in our solar system. I spent a lot of time developing the fragrances for each planet using essential oils, and it was so fun! For instance, the Moon is eucalyptus, lavender, and ylang ylang. That way each candle will have more purposes instead of just one.

From top right clockwise: Mars, Sun, Uranus, Moon
What do you do to celebrate spring?
Blessed Be

No comments:

Post a Comment